Friday, August 17, 2012

Indonesia tercinta saya

We have been experiencing a heat wave in Portlandia, summer finally arrived after a long, cool spring, and this sunny, hot weather always puts me in mind of living in my other homeland, Indonesia. I first discovered it last December and January, when I spent three whole weeks living there with my adopted son Yudhie and his friends and relatives, never staying in a hotel or going out of our way to see ‘the sights’ but just living there together, enjoying each other’s company, and going where occasion and the road sent us.

It is a warm country, and not just because it straddles the equator. The people of Indonesia, everyone I came to know, were very warm hearted, very generous and hospitable. When you don’t know them personally, they are respectful and correct, but once they know you are ‘one of them’ their gracious hearts and homes are open to you. I suppose people are like that everywhere, but when you experience that in a place you did not expect to find it, it’s just wonderful.

Today, the day felt like a day in Singaraja or in Tangerang or Lampung, sunny, hot, but still a bit breezy. I just miss being surrounded by Indonesian people. Perhaps I will see some of them tomorrow, if I go to eat at one of the warungs downtown. Yes, we have two authentic Indonesian warungs (food carts) in Portlandia, both of them are benar bagus sekali (really great)! Indonesian food is definitely Asian and based on rice, but the spices and the preparation of meat, fish, seafood, vegetables and fruit make it unique.

Today I want to congratulate my friends and relatives of Indonesia on their Independence Day, which is the 17th of August, already over by the time anyone reads this. I hope it was a beautiful day for them. They’re also getting ready for the Idul Fitri holiday, which marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan, on Sunday the 19th. Though this is a religious holiday for Muslims, everyone in Indonesia has the day off to celebrate with their friends. Well, it falls on a Sunday. I wonder, do they have Monday off work to compensate?

The video above is a sample of what happens on the bus going just about anywhere in Indonesia—Street musicians, pengamen, get aboard the bus and perform, then pass an envelope for donations. They don’t have to pay the conductor for the ride, and they get off and climb aboard another bus to perform, and earn their living. It’s easy to be generous with these talented young people. By the way, I have a blog, Yndonesia, which you can find HERE.

1 comment:

yudikris said...

Thanks, Dad... on behalf of Indonesians :D. It is a bit sunny here in Palembang, so we do not go outside a lot during August. But indeed we feel proud of this day, the independence day.