Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The purpose of Christianity

Tokyo, 20 December, 2011

What is the purpose of Christianity, the transformation of society, or to save souls? If it is the former, then there are societies that have been transformed without it, or with very little reference to it.

I am sitting alone in a hotel room in Tokyo, Japan, as I ponder and write. A large window beside me faces the eastern horizon where the sun will soon reveal itself. I’ve opened the window to refresh myself by the cool winter air and to hear the sounds of the wakening city. The morning crescent moon, hanging above all at sixty degrees above the horizon, awaits the sun. I am back in this land of a childlike people who know nothing of Christ, only of Christianity. Their ancient traditions still their anchors, they do not fear to join the world of men, helping to make the modern world. Why? Because beyond all religion or religious feelings, they seem happy to live in a world of uncertainty and paradox, knowing that a Mystery at the heart of their race still guides them, covers them, provides for them, even loves them.

Is it Amaterasu quietly secluded in her sacred house in the forests of Ise? Is it her beautiful, silent protector, mighty Fujiyama rising from the sea? These two ancient ancestors of the Japanese race, because of them ‘the only divine race on earth,’ the goddess of the sun and the mountain who is a god, will never fear being abandoned by their people as long as they exist on earth. Why? Because they live in them, the people in the kami, the kami in their children. Yes, a childlike people carried in the arms of childlike gods.

The sun is still resting below the horizon, now a rose-red rind to an aquamarine sky. Will she arise and shine as I first saw her in Nagoya, a deep red orb against a pale white silk curtain? I continue to ponder. Who is this Jesus who walks in Japan? I saw Him here before, though I encountered very few churches. Christians in Japan—I know they are here. I worshiped with the Orthodox Christians of Nagoya one Sunday three years ago at Pascha.

They now have a new temple in the city center, built to resemble an ancient Russian church. I questioned then, and I question now, is this who or what Christ is or must be for the Japanese people? Why would this childlike people want a new god tabernacled like a stranger in a strange house? Again, what is the purpose of Christianity, to transform society or to save souls?

Of course, the question is really not about the purpose of Christianity at all, but about the purpose of Christ. And He does both: transforms society and saves souls. It isn’t as though these are two separate ends. They can only happen together. But without an answer forthcoming, just as the sun delays her rising—and I must now leave this room and soon this pleasant land—I still believe, I know, that Jesus Christ walks these islands. He is seeking His lost sheep even though they do not know they are lost, even though their ancient guardians have kept them safe and united for millennia. For a new millennium is coming for the Japanese people, and for all peoples.

It is only waiting for us who know Him, to follow Him.

No comments: