Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Untitled

I've been thinking of some poems written by my sons when they were growing up. I have so few of them. Any I have I almost had to steal. This one was attached to the bottom of one of my son Jacob's graphic art pieces. I hand copied and saved it. It didn't have a title, but I think it is a very good poem.


Limestone gateways from old time, beneath ever-present stars.
Lost, maimed legends left untold of ancient, immortal wars.

Knowledge holding captive all the minds from where it came,
replacing thoughts and concepts that are different yet the same.

Earthen forms, yet beautiful, restrict the blooming flower.
Evil demons, green and gold, grow larger by the hour.

Our innocent simplicity is where our true self lies,
yet civilisation continues to complicate our lives.

Those forgotten values are trying to break through.
Their efforts are quite valiant, but their aim is far from true.

The brambles keep on spreading, refusing to back down.
Perhaps the war will end when its beginning has been found.

— Jacob Aaron Gorny

3 comments:

George Patsourakos said...

This poem conveys that nature is beautiful, but the wars of man -- as well as other destructive actions -- tend to destroy much of nature's beauty.

Anonymous said...

A most sober and delightful way to begin my morning!

Jim Swindle said...

You're right; it's a good poem.