Saturday, April 2, 2011

Clean Monday

The sound of the tide
woke me.

Any day
can be clean Monday.

Any day
not too early
nor too late,
I follow You, Lord,
as You walk along the sea.

Your foot steps leave no trace,
but mine,
heavy with the weight of sins,
mar the smoothness
of the sand of time.

Cannot erase them,
cannot hide them,
the path they trace,
where I walked without You,

but Your mercy, Lord,
Your mercy,
blows them away.
They vanish
in Your wind.
Following You,
like You
I leave no trace.

The sea washes away,
the wind clears the sand,
the wind carries them away,
the sun shines softly,
lights the beach
invisibly through the mists,
the roar of the waves
carries them away,
far as east is
from the west.

Alone with You,
I walk with You
along the sea, Lord,
and in silence
You unburden me.

You release me, Lord,
and so
I follow You.

— Romanós

2 comments:

Pandelis said...

Very nice. Your poems are like the Psalms; I have to spiritually prepare myself to read them. Are you going to publish a book with your poetry? :)

(if not, are you compiling them in a single file or just on your blog?)

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

A shot in the dark, this poem. A heavy grief, bearing down my soul, and He woke me up in the night, walked beside me on the beach, reminded me, taught me, and cleaned me of that sorrow.

These are the Lord's gifts, and He will do with them, and with me, whatever pleases Him.

Thanks, brother, for your friendship on earth, where He has placed us for only one reason: to love one another.