Friday, April 30, 2010

The Matrix revisited

Well, actually not the whole film of The Matrix, but just one small scene from it, something that I’ve blogged before, the scene in the dojo where Morpheus tries to raise Neo’s perception of reality by saying, “Stop trying to hit me and hit me!

This is not just an exercise in raising someone’s consciousness, as a Buddhist might see it. The Matrix (the first movie of three in a series, of which I have chosen to see only the first) provides the viewer with an avalanche of spiritual and metaphysical concepts. What is unique about this film is that it somehow strikes a universal chord in believers or practitioners of many faiths, religions and philosophies. The Wachowski brothers are nothing if they aren’t geniuses when it comes to laying out a multi-dimensional fantasy world which has so many connexions to the real world—not the ‘world of the real’ that Morpheus welcomes Neo to in the ‘desolation scene’ inside the computer. I’ve heard of a Hasidic Jewish boy who on a flight somewhere spent the entire time discoursing to a non-Jewish woman seated next to him (once they’d made acquaintance) how The Matrix reveals and supports the hidden world of Jewish mysticism, the Kabbalah, and the teachings of the Hasidic masters. I’ve read at the blog of an American Buddhist monk studying in South Korea how The Matrix ties into and demonstrates the truths taught by the Buddha. I’ve heard that even in the Orthodox Church, when the first film came out, it was quickly commandeered and put to use in youth Sunday schools in various places as being a metaphor for the Orthodox way of life and spiritual warfare. It is in this last regard that I believe it is most helpful.

Now, back to my topic, the words of Morpheus to Neo in the dojo scene, “Stop trying to hit me and hit me! In the space of only eight words were spoken a decisive truth about our lives in Christ, not as mere believers but as followers of Jesus.

Did our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ever try to do anything? Or did He just do it? This is the key to understanding these words. No, He didn’t try to preach the good news, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, raise the dead. He didn’t try to die on the Cross, descend into Hades, preach to the souls He found there, or raise them with Him to paradise. He didn’t try to rise from the dead, breathe on His disciples and tell them “Receive the Holy Spirit,” or ascend into the heavens to sit at the right hand of Divine Majesty. No, our Lord Jesus Christ never tried to do anything. And since this is true, why should we?

This idea of “I’ll try to... (you can fill in the blank with anything you wish, just don’t try to!)” has infected all of modern society. It softens the possibility of failure, allows for a gracious rebound after dropping the ball to do something (that most probably one hadn’t the slightest intention of doing anyway). We have all caved into this at some point in our lives, or we’re doing it at this very moment. However, my brothers, this is a simply a beautified disguise for our besetting sin, that built-in law of failure that comes as part of our inheritance in the old Adam.

Christ the Resurrection and the Life, like the movie shadow Morpheus, expects nothing less from us than to do what He commands. He knows nothing of trying. He knows that on our own we will always fall flat on our faces. He knows that we know that He will pick us up and stand us on our feet after every failure, as The Matrix character Trinity commands Neo after he has been killed by a barrage of bullets, “Now, get up!” The command of Christ to us at such moments is even stronger than Trinity’s. All we have to do is follow His instructions and do what He commands.

“Don’t try to... (you can fill in the blank with anything you wish),
just do it!

Expect the resurrection of the dead, don’t just look for it!
Let your confession be your profession.
Let them call Him your obsession.
Don’t try to follow Jesus,
just follow Him!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So how do I turn the despair of my failure into enough energy to stand back up? If I can't say, "I'll try" the only thing left is, "I'll fail, so why bother."

Forgive me brother if this is more than you want to know about me.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

No, brother. This post is about the semantic "I'll try" and not the existential one.

Here in North America and perhaps elsewhere in the English speaking world, we have let our discipline and our faith slip by the abuse of language. The "I'll try" of the typical American mindset is what I am describing here, and how this manner of speaking and thinking has eroded our humanity and integrity.

Everything we do is subject to the possibility of failure. We know that, but as I wrote, when we fail, when we fall, we hear His voice, "Get up! Stand up on your two feet again! You can lean on me!"

True there are times for all of us, not least of all myself, when the utter pain and humiliation of personal failure makes us want to just lie down and die. At these times the Lord is gentler, He says, "Come to Me, I will carry you until you can stand on your feet."

Do I have to enumerate my many failures for you to realise that I am not speaking out of a prideful spirit? In the world's eyes and in my own if I surrender to doubt, I have not merely failed, I am an instance of failed humanity myself. I am so far broken that I should not want to stand up and walk, let alone live, if it weren't for God in Christ resurrecting me.

Forgive me for writing something that may have pushed you down, that was not my intention. We can never do it alone, but knowing that we are all doing it, not just trying to do it, whatever it is, frees us somewhere from the fear of failure. We do what God commands, knowing that it is ours to begin the work, His to finish it, in us.

Thanks, brother, for your question and comment, and there will never be a time when I draw back from knowing everything about you that you want to reveal to me.

Go with God.

Unknown said...

You have done me no wrong. Sometimes the scalpel must cut to remove the dead flesh that the live flesh might heal and freshen.

I am nothing of greatness even in the ordinary nature of my sins. I think though I feel a particular keenness to my lack of self-discipline. If God does not suit to give it as a gift, I fear I will never have it because I neglected any form for so long. No human power could support it now.

While not the worst sin, it is one of the most distressing. I am more full of "want", and more empty of "do" than my brothers around me. I used to think I sat at the foot of the table out of humility, but sometimes it is to avoid humiliation. A different matter entirely.

It might, I suppose, be more pleasant, if you as a friend and brother might be my dietitian rather than a surgeon. But you are where God wants you and if your knife cuts the God means for me to lie under the blade.

God bless you brother.

ryanstanski said...

Romanos,

Wanted to run some thoughts by you that i feel ike the Lord has been sharing with me. I am not exactly sure why i am sharing them with you, except by chance i ended up on your blog this morning.

>Jesus had no power. but all power had been given to Him. So freely He recieved, and freel He gave.

>If our giftings are for attaining our own promotion, then they are a burden.

>The only "christian ministry" is the work of the Father.

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

"Jesus had no power. but all power had been given to Him. So freely He recieved, and freel He gave."

Jesus, the co-eternal only-begotten Son of the Father and Word of God, equal to the Father as to His divine nature, inferior to the Father as to His human nature, hears what His Father says and does what He sees His Father doing, and it is in this sense that all power has been given to Him by the Father, who is the principle of Godhead in the Holy Triad.

Jesus says, "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8). He is speaking to us, though He is also telling us what He has received from the Father and is handing over to us. He also says, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12). This is the foundation of our life in Him that Jesus is handing over to us, starting with His first disciples, who became His apostles.

"If our giftings are for attaining our own promotion, then they are a burden."

I don't know what to make of this, other than to say that nothing that we are given—and all is by gift of the Lord—nothing that we are given is for our own glory, if that's what you mean by "promotion." As holy apostle Paul writes, "…we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake" (2 Corinthians 4:5).

"The only 'christian ministry' is the work of the Father."

All ministry is, as Jesus says, the work of the Father. "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."

This is the deception we struggle with in the Church, that people forget, both priests and people, these truths, and turn the House of God into a marketplace, where we barter our glory for shame.

It's not for us to judge the Church or anyone, because as Basil of Caesarea writes, "we are all deceived," but it is for us to pray as Jesus prays, and work as He works, accompanying Him as He walks through our world seeking His lost sheep and proclaiming that the Kingdom of God is upon us.

Thanks, brother, for sharing your thoughts, and asking for mine.

Christ is risen, and He is among us!