Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The life of Christ, lived in us

An excellent article by Fr Stephen to which I would direct your attention, Having Then Gifts Differing, contains the following passages which speak strongly to my mind and to some of the thoughts that I have been struggling with for years. What he says here also helps me to understand why I was so disturbed by what was going on in my local church recently. Thankfully, that difficult time has passed, and we're already on the road to recovery. I won't explain any further, but let you read these passages, and hopefully use the link to read Fr Stephen's entire post. Those of you who know me personally, or even those who have shared these troubling times with me, will already know why I am encouraged by these words…

The question, “What is my place in the Church?” seems to me to be a question whose origin is to be found more in the culture of our modern economy and its view of the human than it is to be found anywhere within the pages of Holy Scripture.

…“What good thing must I do to be saved?”

This is not a question (in its original meaning) of “what must I do in order to earn my salvation?” There is no question of merit whatsoever. “What must I do to be saved?” is one of the primary questions asked within the pages of the gospel. Christ directs the rich young ruler to the commandments within the Law. When pressed, He answers the young man more directly, “Sell what you have, give to the poor and come and follow me.” The young man goes away sad. Today the young man might say, “But what will be my role within the Church?”

Our role within the Church is to seek our salvation – to follow Christ.

We may indeed have gifts that differ (how can we not?) but our gifting is not about ourselves but about our service to others. And our service to others is not about ourselves (watching ourselves “do ministry”).

All ministry is simply the act of love – whatever form it takes.
And if it is not love, it is not the ministry which Christ gives.

The failure to seek salvation – always and at all times – is a failure which is a distraction. We are too easily distracted by our “ministry,” when that ministry is about our own “role.”
A Reader “sees” himself reading instead of simply praying to read well for the benefit of others. A priest becomes aware of his “place” within the Church rather than simply doing those things which a priest must do.

Of course, we are fallen creatures and our life within the Church is easily corrupted.

But it will be less corrupted if we do not import into that life the false images created by our economy. For the vision offered by our economic life is itself false: “Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?” (Matt. 6:25). Our existence is not defined by our job titles nor our careers. Nor is our life in the Church defined by our job title – even though the title may sound spiritual.

Our life within the Church is lived towards salvation when it is the life of Christ, lived in us. That life is manifest when it is consistently laid aside for others. It is the shape of love at work within us.

No comments: