Saturday, January 2, 2010

Always a good word

You cannot be too gentle, too kind.
Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other.
Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives.
All condemnation is from the devil.
Never condemn each other.
We condemn others only because we shun knowing ourselves.
When we gaze at our own failings, we see such a swamp that nothing in another can equal it.
That is why we turn away, and make much of the faults of others.
Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace.
Keep silent, refrain from judgement.
This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.

— Seraphim of Sarov

How I needed to hear this word today! I found myself in the company of thinly veiled belligerence and intentional unkindness wherever I went, well, there were occasional breaks, that's true. But the world turned a harsh face to me, and I longed for the fellowship of my dear friend, who is a citizen with me in the kingdom of peace. So, when I arrived home again after my errands in 'the world' it was a welcome word that I found waiting for me, by our holy father among the saints, Seraphim of Sarov, whose feast-day it is today.

To my son John Seraphim, and to all other Seraphims known and unknown to me, a happy feast day!

1 comment:

pilgrim said...

...and I long for your friendship too brother.

Grace and peace and strength from Him who is and who was and who is coming...

Word Verification: couseind