Thursday, October 8, 2009

How simple it is

This morning as I was praying, I found it very easy to offer thanks for every blessing the Lord has given me, but I found it difficult somehow to pray for needs, and to intercede. Whenever I started to ask, for the healing of a friend's wife, for the safety of my Christian friends in a muslim country, for the happy outcome of another friend's hopes for marriage, for the cure and help of a mentally ill friend, my mind kept coming back to Jesus' words, “Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him,” and then to the prayer He teaches us,

Our Father in heaven, may Your name be held holy, Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us, and do not put us to the test, but save us from the evil one.

The perfect prayer, and not just a ceremonial recitation!
As I surrendered to praying these words, they penetrated the burdens on my heart, and calmed my soul from worrying, knowing that our Father knows what we need before we ask. My prayer continues onward even after my prayer time has given way to what I am doing now, as I am reminded of the needs of others and my own needs throughout the day.

My friend Presbytera Candace sent me these words
of Elder Ierónymos of Ǽgina,

Without God, we cannot do anything. Excessive sorrow, and despair, are of the tempter. Always say, “May Thy will be done.” Have joy and sorrow as guests, but not despair. No matter how much sorrow the evil one brings, say, “I have my Christ. He was crucified for me and loves me.”

Can anything be easier or more simple than this? Forgive me, brethren, but this is Orthodoxy to me: the following of Jesus Christ, trusting in Him who walks ahead enduring all my pains and sorrows for me before I come to them, presenting the prayer which is my life to His Father and interceding on my behalf. Nothing more, or less, than this: “I have my Christ. He was crucified for me and loves me.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A GREAT TOPIC!
I recently read an excellent book on this exact topic. It is called "Thy Will Be Done On Earth" by Russell. The two of you are thinking the same way.
KEEP UP THE GOOD POSTS.

yudikris said...

I agree butch4him! This is very beautiful. I love the quote, and the reflection too! Glory to God!