Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cut off for me and you

Today I have been handing over to you not my own thoughts but those of others that have affected and edified me, and since good things come in threes, here is the third, a poem written by a Christian brother in south India. He calls himself "the Postman" and writes anonymously, but I am also slightly acquainted with him personally and know his identity. Some of you also write Christian poetry or, perhaps I should say, poetry in Christ, as I think there is a difference. That's why I am bringing this to your attention, so you can also discover another who expresses his faith in Christ this way and share his gift.

He begins by quoting the Word verse by verse (John 15:1-8), then he writes his poem, Cut off for me and you, and then he concludes by quoting the Word, again verse by verse (Isaiah 53:1-12). Go back and click on the linked title to read the whole poem.
I think you will be edified.

This is how his poem affected me. I wrote…

Beautiful poetry budding forth from the live wood of the Word. Especially poignant, for me, the last four lines…

There when He was cut off
Pierced for my sin
There my salvation flowed out
There I was grafted in.


Those four short lines encapsulate in lucid metaphor drawn straight from the spring of scripture the mystery of salvation.
I thank you and salute you, brother, for sharing this gift from the Most High with us.

1 comment:

pilgrim said...

Amen...worthy words, indeed.