Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Aghía Sophía - Holy Wisdom

I've never seen a picture or painting of the great church of Holy Wisdom in Constantinople (Istanbul) showing it as an Orthodox church. All the pictures I've ever seen always show it as a mosque, or in its present state, a museum in which the vestiges of its Christian use are shown alongside more prominent evidences of its use as a mosque.
Fr Joseph Honeycutt posted the image I am reproducing here on his blog OrthoDixie. Click on the link to visit his blog. I have nothing to say, except to thank Fr Joseph for locating this picture and sharing it with us.

The image gets larger if you click on it. Then you can right click on the larger image and save it to your computer like I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's ironic I found this on your blog today. I was just reading something about Hagia Sophia and wondering how it is rare (very rare) to see a picture of the church as a church.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/34345864.html