Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Renouncing Iconoclasm

We have to renounce iconoclasm.
In so doing, we inherently set ourselves against certain forces within modernity.
The truth is eschatological, that is, it lies in the future, but we also believe that this eschatological reality was incarnate in Christ, the Beginning and the End, the Alpha and the Omega.
We do not oppose the future in embracing the Tradition we have received.
We embrace the future that is coming in Truth, rather than the false utopias of modern man’s imagination.

This thought, embraced and revealed in these few words, I found in the side panel of the blog Glory to God for All Things. A dear friend and sister in Christ forwarded me a link to a post at this blog entitled A Personal Salvation, and after reading it (it was excellent and true), I nosed around the blog and found the words quoted above. As far as Orthodox Christian blogs goes, it seems more deeply and simply Orthodox than many I've visited. The point that made sense to me in Renouncing Iconoclasm was that by faithfulness to the ancient faith, we are not trying to hold back the march of time and progress, the future. Instead, we are standing our ground in the eternal, which was from the beginning, so that we will be found standing there at the end, in the coming Kingdom of God, "the future that is coming in Truth."

Gretchen, thanks for sending me the link. I've added it to the side panel, so I can visit it again and recommend it to others.

No comments: