Tuesday, May 29, 2007

We made the first step!

The arrangement was, that our friend would telephone me between 6 and 6:30 p.m. this evening. I would stay near the phone, and he'd call. Well, at six-twenty-something, he called!

For those of you who read the story so far, I want to update you. The Lord does work with us as συνεργοι (sýnerghi, Greek: "co-labourers"). We just have to respond to His call and follow His instructions.

On Monday night, I contacted an old friend of mine who worships at Holy Apostles Orthodox church on N.W. Overton. He lives in an Orthodox communal house. He connected me to another mutual friend, actually an Orthodox god-brother of mine that I've been out of touch with for awhile, who works at CityTeam ministries. I telephoned that brother this afternoon, and got confirmation that we could get our homeless friend a regular, clean place to sleep, and showers, etc., for an indefinite time, at a nominal cost. This is a ministry, and so it's a Christian safe zone.

When our friend phoned me, I gave him the details, asked him again if he wanted to go through with this, with the helping hand we want to give him to get off the streets, and he affirmed it. He started to show some excitement in his voice. The instructions are: to go the Harbor Light tomorrow (Wednesday) and get a free TB test. He'll have to go back there Friday to get a card that is good for one year certifying him healthy, to be able to stay at CityTeam's facility. Then, I gave him the address of City Team, so he could go and see it. If everything goes well, he will return there at 5 p.m. tomorrow and I will meet him, introduce him to my god-brother, and pay for his first week of "roof." Then, we'll start assessing what else he needs. (By the way, he had work today, day labour.)

Those of you who have a heart for the lost, and who have read the beginning of this story, stay with us, and see how the Lord works. Much of this is as new to me as it is to you. A big thank you to brother Jerry (Athanasius) who told me about CityTeam, to Subdeacon Philip at St. George's Antiochian Orthodox Church for his encouragement and help, and of course to my god-brother Roger (Michael) at CityTeam.

We've past the first step, now remember us when you pray to the Father, may His will be done.

1 comment: